Sr HPC Parallel SW Application Engineer Job
Date: Jul 21, 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
The Software Application Engineer is primarily a Software Engineer/Developer. Significant contributions also result when the AE acts as a product evangelist, program/project manager and a marketer. Application Engineers act as consultants and provide direct support to third party software developers. AE's help developers create or move their products to Intel Architecture (IA) products including Intel Xeon Processors and many core Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors, achieve the best performance of their applications on IA, and prepare collateral material to publish methods and demonstrate their results.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: - Ensure that software applications developed by leading vendors and institutions (OEM partner labs, Academics, other partners) run best on Intel's latest and upcoming platforms and technologies - Support and influence partners and their SW developers during all phases of the SW development cycle including selection, feature definition, project setup, project execution, and on-going support for application deployment by providing technical training, consultation, and hands-on assistance to SW developers in areas of architecture, technologies, parallel code structure, development, testing and tuning of SW apps - 75% of time. Provide training, consultation, and assistance to SW developers using the Intel SW Tools; evangelize Intel products and technologies to SW developer community - 15% of time. As SW and Intel technology expert, author technical papers and training courses; provide expertise to customers and peer Intel orgs and contribute to Intel SW and HW product development by providing tech feedback to Intel product teams - 10% of time. Usually holds an academic degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Computational Science.
You must possess the below minimum qualifications to be initially considered for this position. Preferred qualifications are in addition to the minimum requirements and are considered a plus factor in identifying top candidates. Experience listed below would be obtained through a combination of previous job experience, education, academic research, and internships.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field with an emphasis in high performance parallel computing, minimum. PhD preferred
- 6+ years of experience in parallel computing, high-performance computing application optimization and/or related fields
- 6+ yrs of experience in the following common parallel computing languages, libraries, and platforms (OpenMP, MPI, C, C++, FORTRAN) required, additional experience in Threading Building Blocks, OpenCL, and Intel Cilk Plus is preferred
- 4+ years of experience with application development and deployment in Linux operating system environments
- 4+ years of domain expertise in a specific area of technical computing applications including but not limited to: manufacturing, life sciences, financial services, energy/seismic, physics, finite element analysis, fluid dynamics
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with distributed application profiling and optimization in HPC cluster computing environments and familiarity with interconnect topology and parallel file storage systems such as Lustre
- Prior formal training/instruction experience in an industrial and/or academic setting
- Demonstrated, effective communication skills that will enable you to work with partners to optimize applications on Intel hardware both in formal teaching environments as well as through hands-on coding
- Familiarity with application development in professional Windows workstation and/or server operating environments
- Experience with accelerators including FPGAs, DSPs or graphics processors (GPU) is helpful, but not required
- Highly self-motivated, able to take initiative to figure out problems individually, and to take projects to completion with minimal supervision
Job Category: Software Engineering
Primary Location: USA-Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Other Locations: USA-California, Santa Clara, USA-Texas, Austin, USA-Oregon, Hillsboro
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Job Type: Experienced
Posting Date: Jun 25, 2014
Business Group The Datacenter and Connected Systems group drives new products and technologies from high-end co-processors for supercomputers to low-energy systems for the cloud, as well as solutions for big data and intelligent devices. The group is a worldwide organization that develops the products and technologies that power nine of every 10 servers sold worldwide.
The Technical Computing Group within the Data Center Group provides products and solutions to solve the world's most massive computational application challenges from weather prediction to genomics. We deliver the processing and networking technology for over 85% of the world's fastest computers including the current #1 ranked Top500 Supercomputer in the world.
Posting Statement: Intel prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Product Development, Research