Cloud xCode Engineer
To stay attuned to Data Center customers evolving needs in the cloud, the ability to provide specific CPU microcode and firmware solutions addressing a feature or enhancement request outside the regular product life cycle is paramount. The Cloud xCode engineering team engages with our largest customers to understand their technical requirements and helps define and deliver solutions while working with engineering organizations across the company.
Entailing in depth understanding of both the customer operating environment and Intel platform capabilities, the team defines solutions to address targeted enhancements for current products and shape requirements for and influence product/solution architecture of future Intel platforms so that they are better suited to the needs of our definitional customers. The xCode team influences the shaping of future products by significantly contributing to the architecture used across design families and provides multilayered technical expertise for next generation initiatives.
As a Cloud xCode Engineer, you will be part of the Cloud Engineering team working on key cloud customer requests for new features and servicing in-fleet products, collaborating closely with the architecture, design, and validation teams to solve issues that are fundamental to CPU operation at cloud scale. This role brings the best of both Software and Hardware worlds in architecture, design, debug, and validation and will rely on deep interaction and communication with key technical experts between the customer and Intel design engineering.
In this role responsibilities include, although not limited to:
- Work with internal teams within xCode to understand in depth the end-to-end working of telemetry and OOB capabilities across different generations of Intel products.
- Contribute to customer facing material and presentations.
- Working on customer specific information requests and technical deep dives.
- Understand customer requirements and work with internal teams at Intel to incorporate customer feedback in defining features and roadmaps.
- Architect, design, implement and drive proof of concepts for features that can provide optimizations, TCO improvement and better debuggability for cloud customers.
- Debug, root cause and fix issue seen by customers in the fleet.
Minimum qualifications are required to be initially considered for this position. Preferred qualifications are in addition to the minimum requirements and are considered a plus factor in identifying top candidates.
Master's or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Computing Engineer, or related computing discipline with minimum 6+ years' experience in the following:
- Software/firmware development, high-performance, super-scalar CPU microarchitecture, server SOC and platform architecture.
- Cloud Platform design, architecture and Intel Silicon hardware/software interface.
Experience in the following:
- With BMC/BIOS, how they work and interact with the overall system.
- Intel® x86 Server architecture.
- Communication in interfaces and protocols such as PECI, I2C, PCIe, and eSPI.
- Firmware/embedded software architecture, limitations, firmware update flows.
- Power and Performance management and optimization.
- Linux and proficiency in at least one programming language.
- CPU microcode.
Inside this Business GroupThe Data Platforms Engineering and Architecture (DPEA) Group invents, designs & builds the world's most critical computing platforms which fuel Intel's most important business and solve the world's most fundamental problems. DPEA enables that data center which is the underpinning for every data-driven service, from artificial intelligence to 5G to high-performance computing, and DCG delivers the products and technologies—spanning software, processors, storage, I/O, and networking solutions—that fuel cloud, communications, enterprise, and government data centers around the world.
Other LocationsUS, OR, Hillsboro; US, CA, Santa Clara
Covid StatementIntel strongly encourages employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Intel aligns to federal, state, and local laws and as a contractor to the U.S. Government is subject to government mandates that may be issued. Intel policies for COVID-19 including guidance about testing and vaccination are subject to change over time.
Posting StatementAll qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance.
BenefitsWe offer a total compensation package that ranks among the best in the industry. It consists of competitive pay, stock, bonuses, as well as, benefit programs which include health, retirement, and vacation. Find more information about all of our Amazing Benefits here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/jobs/benefits.html
Annual Salary Range for jobs which could be performed in US, California: $180,070.00-$270,050.00
*Salary range dependent on a number of factors including location and experience